Monday, February 21, 2011

The True Inspirations

This past Saturday was our first 20 Mile Run (out of two) before we head to LA in just 4 weeks.  It was the best run yet, and I really think there were so many reasons why.  Below is our team at 5 Miles and at 15 Miles.  Sorry we forgot to take pictures after the 20 Miles.  I guess we were all anxious to get to the ice bath.  What was amazing about running 20 Miles was not that we ran it, but what got us through it.  I am very lucky to have two of the girls I run with working at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, because Saturday when times got tough running, Kourtney and Morgan both told inspirational stories about their closeness with patients and families who have struggled with blood cancers.  The stories were truly the ones that got me through the run. We are making a difference and helping to fund research for the cure for blood cancers.  Kourtney said it perfect (something like this), "those who have blood cancers are fighting much harder and are in much more pain than us."

Today, I had another inspiration.  Not necessarily the most happy moment, but it reminded me of what I am running for.  I have mentioned before about a customer who I have never met whose husband has Lymphoma, and she supported me with a contribution and a very nice email.  When I got to work this afternoon, a note was left for me about her coming in from Lawrence.  She wanted to meet me and tell me some devastating news.  Her husband, after battling Lymphoma for the second time, was now put on Hospice.

After receiving this note, I knew that I would have to write a very difficult email letting her know that her family and her husband were in my thoughts and prayers.  It's truly devastating that now his blood cancer has taken over his life and time has run out for him.  He has put up a strong fight for years, and on March 20 he will be in my thoughts as I run those 26.2 Miles.  In a reply from his wife, she wanted me to know that she appreciated everything I was doing.  This meant the world to me and will always stay with me. I am helping and bringing hope to many that I don't even know, and this is one of the most powerful things I have experienced from all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment