Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Saturday Success

I don't know if I have ever accomplished so much in one Saturday.  I ran 16 miles and raised $455 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

It all started at 5:30am when I woke up to indulge in a bagel and peanut butter to give me energy.  I didn't even really need my alarm Saturday morning, because I was honestly tossing and turning thinking about what I was going to do if my knee couldn't make it on this 16 mile run, since it just barely got me through 14 miles two weeks before. I had been nursing it carefully with ice and barely running for two weeks (although, I did get my 4 mile birthday run in), but I was scared that my knee would be what would stop me from completing my goal.

Before I headed out at 6:20am I took some Advil, and I don't know if that was what was different, but I honestly felt like I had a new knee! Thanks to the City of Leawood we had clear trails and a beautiful view during our run.  I can't lie that it wasn't easy, but I also feel bad complaining considering that my knee worked (seriously, like a new knee!) It wasn't pain free, but it wasn't nearly as painful as my 14 mile run. I guess it could have been the electrolyte supplement I took, too and I don't know and probably won't know until our next long run, when I am sure I'll try something else new.

Here's my "Snow Bath", where my dad got the shovel and covered me with snow and I sat for about ten minutes.  It was cold, but I think that it was beneficial, and I can officially say that I think it cut my recovery time in half (I mean I don't really know because I have nothing to compare it to considering it's my first 16 mile run).

Saturday Night was my very first Youth Sewing Saturday Night where all the proceeds of the evening went to my fundraising efforts.  I had 13 girls come to sew, eat pizza and of course have fun! It was a great turnout and thanks to one of my co-workers who volunteered her time to help me, we all had fun with treats and a raffle (I think I was more excited about the raffle than they were)!  Thanks to my mom for donating her portion of the class and making some treats, all the girls who came out for it and especially to Joyce for helping me keep track everyone!

I found out today that this week marks our honor patient Emily's one year since she was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APL).  She has fought so hard and is still fighting; she is doing great and has overcome so much. She and every other patients and survivors are the true heroes to every story.  This money that I have raised this weekend goes towards the research to fight Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood cancers. There is no better way I have spent a Saturday than running and teaching sewing to help cure blood cancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment