Monday, December 20, 2010

New Inspirations

It seems like every day brings a new dose of inspiration for me.  Through my fund raising mostly, I have heard unbelievable stories about families that have dealt with some kind of blood cancer in their lives.  I have learned how Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood related cancers have affected so many people just within my small scope of existence.

People I hardly know are telling me stories that keep me running each and every mile.  This past week, I had a woman donate $100 to my fund raiser I am having at my mom's quilt shop, and told me about her and her husband Bob's fight with this cancer twice. What courage it must take to not give up and to keep up treatment regardless of the fight that it will take two times.  I have never met this couple, but I can tell that they are like so many that keep on fighting, while still hoping for a cure.

It's amazing how many people have such personal stories to share with me.  Each one is just as important as the other.  They all are stories of individuals with power and fight within them.  And these stories are the ones that keep me going.

Originally, I wanted to run this marathon in honor of my grandma who passed away in August.  She was always wanting to help everyone in any way (I know if she were still around, she would be at every Bingo game trying to win as many quarters to contribute to me).  She would be so happy that now that I have found so much joy in helping others.  Now being part of Team in Training is so much more, but it all stemmed from the lessons that my grandma taught me about how helping others is the biggest fulfillment in life.

1 comment: